Monday, June 21, 2010

Monday, Monday...

Mark is sleeping. We are waiting. I certainly don't want to be a skeptic, but I'm not quite embracing going home today....yet ;) One of the cardiac surgeon's PA's came by and told Mark he was looking much better and should go home today. The only problem was, she hadn't read his chart yet and didn't know about all that took place over the weekend. I can't lie, the possibility of heading south in the next 3-4 hours excites me though!

So, yesterday, we waited most of the day for the dermatology consult and about 3p I decided I should go ahead and leave to take care and check on Trenton. Our understanding was that once dermatology determined aspirin was the allergen, then pharmacy would begin the aspirin desensitization program. Apparently, pharmacy entered the room just as I left and turned the corner...Mark couldn't reach me (must have been in the elevator) so he began the desensitization process without seeing dermatology and all by himself. I don't mean to make him sound pitiful, I had just hoped to be here to ask some questions and encourage him through it. He had to drink a horrible amount of water with crushed aspirin...no fun flavorings! He said is was disguisting!! The 1st dose began with a small syringe amount and increased each time until the final dose which was in a huge bottle.

He didn't seem to have any problems and so I stayed at the house with my sick little man until my Mom got into town. For a little while, Trenton's fever just wouldn't go down, but finally after a lot of praying, some ibuprofen and a lukewarm bath he finally began to cool off and feel better. I got to the hospital around 11:30 and sometime around midnight I noticed Mark's right eye beginning to swell. It was not a pleasant moment in the room. Mark was angry that he was swelling because all he could think about was going home and I was concerned that it was happening rather quickly and of course that it was starting in his face and hoping it wouldn't affect his airway. They chalked it up to confirmation of the aspirin allergy and told him he could go to sleep. Today, he is still swollen, not quite as bad as "Hitch" though! :)

We're just hanging here, waiting on the word to go! At this point, allergy to aspirin has been determined. They are sending him home with a Rx for steroid to continue to bring the swelling down and we can continue the benadryl, so there's not much more they can do for him here. His Dr has been great about checking on him and really staying in communication with us about who he needs to see and all that we can do to move forward.

Yesterday as I left the hospital headed to the house to see about T, I was listening to an old cd and was reminded that although our lives seem to be totally out of our own hands right now and often in chaos, our lives are still in God's hands and we are going to make it through all of this and can be better because of it, if we allow God to work in us, in that way! I was feeling sorry for myself when I left, but I got new perspective on the drive and although I still feel weak and overwhelmed, I was once again assured that God plans and purposes are far beyond what we can understand!

No comments:

Post a Comment

  The Highlight Reel      I would assume, that we've all been guilty, at times, of only sharing the highlight reel of our lives.  You k...